Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Introduction

Hi, my name is Matt. I come from the Malaysian state of Sarawak and I have a passion for this delicacy which has it's origin from my hometown, Kuching; the Sarawakian Laksa (locally known as Laksa Sarawak or simply "laksa" here in Sarawak). I can't remember or recall when I started to have a passion for the food which is a pride of my state here in Sarawak, but I've been a fan since I was a little kid.

I was lucky to be born in Kuching, the region in the Malaysian state of Sarawak where the Sarawakian Laksa originates. It is here in Kuching where the best Sarawakian Laksas are served.

Okay, to you outsiders and foreigners (except for Singaporeans, Bruneians and Indonesians) who don't have a clue what is exactly this food called laksa is, I've quoted Wikipedia.com for the (correct) definition:
"Laksa is a popular spicy noodle soup from the Peranakan culture, which is a merger of Chinese and Malay elements found in Malaysia and Singapore, and to a lesser extent Indonesia."
Origin of laksa (also quoted from Wikipedia.com):
The origin of the name "laksa" is unclear. One theory traces it back to Hindi/Persian lakhshah, referring to a type of vermicelli. It has also been suggested that "laksa" may derive from the Chinese word "la sha" (; pronounced "latsa" in Cantonese), meaning "spicy sand" due to the ground dried prawns which gives a sandy or gritty texture to the sauce. The last theory is that the name comes from the similar sounding word "dirty" in Hokkien due to its appearance.
... and for further reading, click here

This is another part of an article in Wikipedia.org about Sarawak Laksa
Sarawak laksa (Malay: Laksa Sarawak) comes from the town of Kuching in the Malaysian state of Sarawak, on the island of Borneo. It is actually very different from the curry laksa as the soup contains no curry at all. It has a base of Sambal belacan, sour tamarind, garlic, galangal, lemon grass and coconut milk, topped with omelette strips, chicken strips, prawns, fresh coriander and optionally lime. Ingredients such as bean sprouts, (sliced) fried tofu or other seafood are not traditional but are sometimes added.
This blog of mine discusses all and everything about Sarawak Laksa and I'll travel around Sarawak, Malaysia and perhaps the world and write all about this special cuisine which holds a dear place in my heart. My love for Sarawakian Laksa will never fade and I hope neither does any Sarawakian Laksa fans all around the world too.

So, with that I really hope you know or at least have an idea of what Sarawak Laksa is. Thank you, see you again in the next post, mupok dulu aku. Oooo... ha!


2 comments:

The Islander said...

Hi Matt. Kudos for a blog well done. I will be your (in the spirit of Laksa) strong supporter..yeyy!

Panggau Libau Descendant said...

Thanks! I really appreciate that. I'm looking forward to for more posts here. Do come back often, ok.