Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sibu Star Cineplex (Halal) Laksa

Location: the one and only Malay noodle stall at the food court underneath Sibu Star Cineplex, Sibu, Sarawak
Rating (out of 10): 7.0
Notes: One of the best halal the Sarawak laksa (Sibu variant) found in Sibu town.
Price: RM 3,50
Pictured: RM3.50
I've been featuring a lot of Sarawakian laksa from Kuching at my blog. It's time to travel and explore. I think it's not fair to just feature laksas from Kuching area only as the Sarawakian laksa has a few variants. Since Sarawak is the biggest state in Malaysia, it is no wonder that this special cuisine has it's own and interesting variants too. After all, this is a blog about Sarawakian laksa, not just Kuching laksa, right?

Well, this one pictured here is one of the Sarawakian laksa variant style you'll find in Sibu. With more coconut milk and less on the paste in the gravy, Kuching laksa lovers will most likely turn this down and dismiss it. If that really happens then you are not really a Sarawakian laksa fanatic. I went around Sibu and generally the Sarawakian laksas here tasted and looked like this. One thing special and different about Sibu Sarawakian laksa is that unlike the ones in Kuching, the gravy is cooked/ made on demand only. It means that the laksa stalls in Sibu here will only cook the gravy if any customer orders for it. In Kuching, the gravy is cooked in large quantities earlier before the stall opens. For Kuching people, if you want to enjoy this, I strongly advice you people to NOT compare this laksa from the ones found in our hometown. This is the Sibu variant and it has it's own identity.

Ok, this one pictured here is a halal one. I think this is the best halal laksa found here in Sibu. To friends, especially those who are Muslims who live in Sibu, if you want a good Sarawak laksa for breakfast, this one here is surely one of the best (if not the best) halal laksa in Sibu town. The taste of the gravy is superb and I hope the gravy is consistant as I only got to taste this once on my recent visit to Sibu. This laksa gravy is quite creamy but it still has a strong Sarawakian laksa smell. I really like it. I highly recommend this stall especially to my Muslim friends as this laksa, like I said earlier, is a halal one and good by my standards.

No comments: